Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
Financial Sector Rapid response Project (FSRRP)
Consulting Services: (Advisor to the AIBF)
Grant No: H-AF
Project ID No.: P119047
Vacancy Announcement Date: 15 March 2012
Closing Date: 10 April 2012
Applications must be delivered to the address below by [1600 hours on 10 April 2012]
Following the Kabul Bank crisis in the end of 2010 the Government of Afghanistan approached the international community, led by the IMF, to assist the Government in stabilizing the banking sector and laying the foundation for banking sector development in the country. The World Bank provided positive response to the request of the Afghan Government by designing a project called the Financial Sector Rapid Response Project (FSRRP) focusing on a set of selected activities that would help restore public confidence in the banking sector. One of the areas that the project covers is provision of funds for capacity building of the Afghanistan Institute for banking and Finance (AIBF). The AIBF is an Afghan owned public-private institution, registered as non-government organization, and dedicated to strengthening of the financial sector in Afghanistan.
The Institute is an initiative of Da Afghanistan Bank (DAB), the Afghanistan Bankers Association (ABA), and the Microfinance Investment Support Facility for Afghanistan (MISFA). The Institute receives financial and technical support of the World Bank, USAID and Harakat. It was inaugurated late 2010 and is currently offering a range of training programs in banking and microfinance for the staff of commercial banks and Microfinance institutions (MFIs) operating in Afghanistan. The Institute also receives technical support from the Bangladesh Institute of Banking and Management and Kampala International University in running Distance Learning Programme.
The Institute has both national and international trainers involved in curriculum development, producing training material and providing trainings for staff of commercial banks and MFIs.
In order to develop an institute meeting international standards, the AIBF is seeking support of an international expert to provide strategic guidance to the development of the institute.
The expert will work closely with the Director of the Institute and will support the transfer of skills from international experts to national experts..
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic advice to the Director of the AIBF, with a specific focus on the sustainability of the institute and the development of its curriculum;
- Liaise with donors (World Bank, USAID, Harakat, Asian Development Bank and the Shareholders) to attract their technical and financial support. Prepare project proposals, project progress reports and participate in project evaluation;
- Work with commercial banks and MFIs in developing curriculum and training material for the training programmes;
- Supervise training activities and provide support to the training department of the AIBF to improve quality of the trainings and encourage commercial banks and MFIs to send their staff to the training courses held by the Institute;
- Provide support to the Director of AIBF in day to day management of the Institute, in overseeing in particular financial management and human resource management;
- Improve and strengthen AIBF relations with similar banking and finance regional and international institutes/universities;
- 7. Assist the AIBF in maintaining and strengthening its relations with its shareholders, participate in the AIBF’s Board of Directors meeting, prepare meeting agenda, briefing material for the meeting and minutes of the meetings and follow up decisions of the Board
- 8. Carry out any other tasks, as requested by the Director.
Time schedule for the proposed Work:
The work will commence immediately after the selection of the candidate and is expected to be for duration of 2 years.
Location of the assignment:
The Advisor will be based in Kabul, Afghanistan at the office of the AIBF.
The Advisor will report directly to the Director of the AIBF and he will be part of the Institute Management team. He/she will also provide regular progress reports on his consultancy to the Director of FSRRP.
- Master’s Degree in business administration, finance, banking, economics, commerce or relevant field.
- At least three years experience in management of a Banking and Finance Training Institute;
- At least two years experience in working in a commercial bank;
- Demonstrated international experience in financial sector development, with experience in developing countries;
- Have experience in developing curriculum and training programmes for the financial sector;
- Advanced proficiency in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Visio, etc), knowledge of other software packages (MS Project, Access, etc) an advantage;
- Have good management skills, ability to work under pressure;
- Excellent written and spoken English
DAB now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (CV, brochures, and description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions and availability of appropriate skills).
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in section V of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011).
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours i.e. 0900 to 1600 hours.
Da Afghanistan Bank (DAB)
Mr. Abaseen Mall
National Procurement Expert
Financial Sector Rapid Response Project (FSRRP)
Ibn-i- Sina Watt, Kabul, Afghanistan
Tel: +93 (0) 772125260
Fax: E-mail: email@example.com
Web site: www.centralbank.gov.af