WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL ENTERPRISE IN HAITI.
POSITION OPENING: BLOCK MANUFACTURING PROGRAM MANAGER / SOCIAL ENTREPRENEUR
Industry: Non-profit Social Enterprise/International Development
Function: Fund and Business Development
Employer: Build Change
Reports To: Director of Programs
Job Location: Greater Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Type of Post: Unaccompanied
Start Date: Immediate
Term: 1 year with possibility of extension
Salary: Competitive, with medical insurance benefits
Build Change (www.buildchange.org) is an international non-profit social enterprise that designs earthquake-resistant houses in developing countries and trains builders, homeowners, engineers and government officials to build them. Build Change’s designs are affordable, culturally appropriate, and use materials and techniques that will continue to be used after our intervention is finished. Build Change works with the public and private sector to leave in place long-term change in construction practice. Build Change operates in Indonesia, China and Haiti. So far, Build Change has improved the design and/or construction of over 18,000 houses worldwide and trained 12,000 people.
Build Change has been operating in Haiti since July 2010, where its team of Haitian construction professionals has trained over 1,400 builders, 2,440 homeowners, and 100 engineers in safe construction techniques. Build Change has also partnered with the Ministry of Public Works and NGO community to develop earthquake-resistant design and construction guidelines for new buildings and retrofits. Build Change is now providing hands-on technical assistance to homeowners and on-the-job training for builders during construction through the retrofit and rebuilding of 1,500 homes. Build Change is also providing training, engineering design, and construction supervision services to other relief agencies and materials testing services.
Build Change is a US-based 501(c)3 non-profit social enterprise in operation since 2004. Build Change has won grants from Echoing Green, Draper Richards Foundation, Mulago Foundation and Ashoka-Lemelson and was named a 2008 Laureate in the Equality Category for Technology Benefiting Humanity by the San Jose Tech Museum of Innovation Tech Awards. Recently, Build Change’s founder won the 2011 Lemelson-MIT Award for Sustainability and was named a US Social Entrepreneur of the Year by the Schwab Foundation. Build Change’s work has been featured on abcNEWS World News Tonight, BBC Website, National Public Radio All Things Considered, the New York Times, ELLE Magazine and Bloomberg BusinessWeek.
Build Change has been working with small and medium enterprises in the concrete block manufacturing sector in Haiti to improve the quality of the blocks and increase demand for better building materials from the relief agency community and homeowner population at large. Build Change is seeking an entrepreneurial program manager with a solid business and technical background to lead the program expansion and implement marketing campaigns with the goals of increased use of higher quality building materials and increased incomes for block manufacturers and their employees.
In addition to a proven track record of delivering similar programs in developing contries, the successful candidate will possess basic construction technical knowledge of the block manufacturing process. The successful candidate should also have a proven track record of managing a team to deliver program outcomes on schedule and budget.
- Thoroughly understand and summarize the business model for concrete block manufacturing in Haiti
- Design and implement a demand creation and marketing campaign for better block production and sales
- Work closely with impact monitoring to track and document increase in production, sales, income, and other metrics
- Oversee Build Change Haiti technical team to implement technical assistance and training programs for block manufacturers
- Lead training for block manufacturers on cash flow management and marketing
- Market Build Change’s technical training and block testing services to other agencies as an income generation activity
- Represent Build Change in discussions with relevant stakeholders, such as block manufacturers, homeowners, government officials, relief agency partners, block purchasers
- Write monthly and project reports
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in similar social entrepreneurship or livelihood projects in development countries
- Experience with or knowledge of technical and business aspects of concrete block production
- Demonstrated experience managing a team to deliver program impacts on time and on budget
- Bachelor’s degree, top-performing educational background preferably from a leading school
- Outstanding, outgoing interpersonal skills, high energy level
- Management and task execution skillset that includes ownership over milestones, workplans, targets, reporting and proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to work independently, willingness to work evenings and weekends in a post-disaster environment
- Knowledge of and passion for Build Change’s mission
- No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor
- Fluent, flawless English; fluent French and/or Creole very strong pluses.
Email cover letter and resume to
with Subject Line: HAITI Block Manufacturing Program Manager – posting H120305 Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please.