MUTAHID DEVELOPMENT FINANCE INSTITUTION
Position: Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Executive Committee
Nationality: Expatriate or Afghan
No of Position: One
Contract: Minimum two-year contract if expatriate / Permanent position if Afghan Citizen
Date Announced: May 27, 2012
Closing Date: Jun 9, 2012
Mutahid (meaning United in local language) Development Finance Institution (MUTAHID) was established on April 1, 2011 and initially three MFIs namely Microfinance Agency for Development and Rehabilitation of Afghan Communities (MADRAC), Parwaz Microfinance Institution (PARWAZ) and Mofad Microfinance Company (MOFAD) were consolidated. Later on, three additional MFIs namely Women for Women International – Microfinance Afghanistan (WWI), Ariana Financial Services (AFS) and ChildFund Afghanistan Microfinance Limited (CFA MF) consolidated into MUTAHID.
The creation of MUTAHID was an opportunity to combine the best components of these consolidating institutions and to preserve the significant investments made over the last few years, to create one larger, stronger and sustainable, best practice MFI based on the core principles of ethics, ideas and hard work while incorporating the lessons learned from the past.
Microfinance Investment Support Facility for Afghanistan (MISFA) is supporting MUTAHID directly by providing direction, capacity building and financial resources and while a division of MISFA is run as a separate autonomous operating entity. The management of MUTAHID is ensuring the orderly and judicial transfer of good clients, quality staff and assets of the consolidating institutions.
Position and Key Terms of Reference:
Reporting to the Executive Committee of MUTAHID, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) would be responsible to lead the institution and execute the approved business plan. The CEO under the direction of the Executive Committee will:
- Demonstrate good corporate governance, provide leadership, develop core management team and provide continued guidance to the staff based on the core principles of ethics, ideas and hard work.
- Lead collaborative strategic and business planning. This includes review of Outlet strategies, MIS strategies (financial, HR and portfolio), HR strategies, Training Capacity Building strategies, Product management, Risk management framework/reporting and Marketing strategies etc. and translating these into SMART operational plans.
- Develop and report progress against the SMART operational plan based on the reviews and business planning exercise.
- Provide continuity and strengthen efforts for collections of overdue/fraudulent portfolio of consolidating institutions.
- Improve existing products and design new products, policies and procedures taking into account the lessons learnt in past lending by consolidating institutions and the development finance sector, ensuring adequate controls are in place to prevent delinquencies.
- Work on new technologies, such as GPS – to indentify client residence and business addresses, Biometrics – to control duplicate lending, Mobile money – the use of mobile technology for disbursements and repayments of financial services, supplemented by the establishment of a mobile-eco-system.
- Improve performance management systems, capacity building and talent management systems to optimize employee performance.
- Prepare MUTAHID for expansion phase including, disbursement augmentation, monitoring supervision, outlet expansion, periodic employee appraisals and increasing financial services product range.
- Propose to the Executive Committee cost-efficiency/sustainability initiatives such as optimizing staff utilization, administrative cost control, technological solutions leading to efficiencies, reorganizing process/departments etc.
- Manage timely and accurate reporting of MUTAHID to the Executive Committee and various stakeholders.
- Support the independent Internal Audit function and address recommendations made by this function and the Internal Audit Committee of the Executive Committee in a timely manner.
- Undertake periodic review of the business plan, financial and operational performance versus the plan and perform key variance analysis. Where required, review the projections of MUTAHID and make recommendations to the Executive Committee for revisions.
- Ensure strict compliance to the policies and procedures and a strong ethical environment in the institution.
- Develop policies and procedures, where required, and update the entire suite of policies and procedures on a periodic basis.
- Participate actively in the transition of additional MFIs, if any, into MUTAHID.
- If the successful candidate is an expatriate, s/he is expected to transfer knowledge practice and develop local successors localizing the position seamlessly, towards the end of the two-year contract.
Experience and Qualifications:
- At least Masters level educational qualification or equivalent.
- At least 5 years’ executive level employment experience in development finance sector, preferably in Afghanistan or South/Central Asia region.
- Fluency in English, working knowledge of Dari/Pashto would be a plus.
- Exceptional integrity, communication, leadership, team building and interpersonal skills.
- Strong financial skills pertaining to development finance sector.
- Good computing analytical skills and up-to-date with technological developments in the development finance sector.
- Ability to work under pressure, timelines and in a challenging environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MUTAHID is an equal employment opportunity institution, moreover, MUTAHID’s majority staff and clients are females, therefore, and applications from females are highly encouraged.
The application package, only acceptable in English language, should, comprise of your latest up-to-date résumé and covering letter explaining your interest and suitability for the position, indicating your remuneration benefit expectations and earliest joining date, if selected.
Interested candidates should submit their application package only via email with the subject “Vacancy – CEO” to
. Due to the expectation of a large number of applications only shortlisted candidates would be contacted.