To provide necessary support in environmental policy, environmental management, climate change, biodiversity issues, and safeguard compliance under the results management unit in ADB’s Viet Nam Resident Mission. The environment officer will be responsible for implementing environment aspects of ADB loans and technical assistance (TAs) delegated to VRM and provide support to ADB environmental-related operations in Viet Nam, with a view to (a) mainstream environment and environmental assessment in selected projects, (b) integrate environment considerations in country partnership strategy processes, midterm reviews and selected project missions, (c) provide environment capacity training to executing agencies and project management units, (d) facilitate communication among ADB, Government and development partners, and (e) actively assist in climate change sector related activities by providing inputs, guidance, and liaison with relevant Government counterparts for ADB financed loans, grants, TAs, and other climate-related programs.
Environmental capacity building
– Monitor and collect information on Government environmental policies, regulations, standards, and procedures relevant to ADB operations in Viet Nam,
– Work closely with national focal points of Government, development partners and organizations involved in environment-related matters and provide information on ADB’s environmental policies and guidelines,
– Compare Viet Nam’s environmental safeguard system with ADB’s, identify gaps and build capacity,
– Conduct training to relevant Government agencies on environmental mainstreaming, and in environment assessments and environmental projects.
Country strategy and program work
– Participate in and contribute to country partnership and strategy and sector assessments, strategies and roadmaps to ensure that environment concerns are addressed,
– Suggest thematic areas where ADB can contribute to environmental mainstreaming,
– Apply environmental mainstreaming in programs and projects as necessary.
– Review country operation business plans and identify which sectors/projects require assistance on environmental mainstreaming and environment-related issues,
– Assist with environmental impact analyses/initial environmental assessments in the preparation of loans and TAs.
– Review ADB’s ongoing loan and TA portfolio to identify sector projects that need specific attention or monitoring on environmental issues,
– Assist and work closely with sector units to monitor the implementation of sector projects in terms of environmental compliance to provide advice, and
– Assist and work closely with sector colleagues in the implementation of sector projects to conserve/improve the environment.
Environment focal point activities
– Coordinate with country and thematic activities focusing on environment issues,
– Liaise with HQ on environmental issues relating to programming and project processing and implementation,
– Coordinate with Viet Nam government national focal point individuals and Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE) on environmental policies, programs, activities, and capacity building requirements,
– Consult and liaise with major local environment-related organizations and networks, and maintain details on their activities, programs and institutional capacities,
– Coordinate with donors’ group on environment and focal points for collaboration and possible financing support.
– Participate in meetings of the thematic group on environmental impact assessment (EIA) under the Aid Effectiveness Forum whose members are representatives from Government and donors and actively participate in the discussions,
– Review and comment on reports on EIA harmonization,
– Provide necessary inputs to Government draft documents related to revisions of the legal framework guiding EIA implementation, and
– Help the Government implement EIA capacity building programs for local governments as needed.
– Assist both VRM and HQ staff in formulating climate change policies and programs
– Actively particiapate in the implementation and administration of loan, grants, and TA projects and non-lending products and services related to climate change in Viet Nam
– Provide inputs to operations teams to enhance the quality and image of ADB’s role as lead delivery partner in the Partnership for Market Readiness (PMR) program and other similar activities, and
– Participate in country teams and provide climate change-related inputs for Country Strategy and Programs (CSPs) covering VRM
Bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences, environmental management or related fields, preferably with advanced training
Relevant Experience And Other Requirements:
– At least 8 years experience working in or with an international organization and working with multiple stakeholders.
– Possesses technical skills in various aspects of environmental policy, environmental management, climate change, biodiversity issues, and safeguard compliance
– Able to liaise and work effectively with government officials within own work location
– Effective report-writing and communication skills in English
People and leadership skills
– Able to update and advice ADB management and professional staff on policy and technical issues
– Able to guide Administrative Staff (AS) to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review
– Ability to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
– Strong oral and written communications skills
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Applies updated advancements in knowledge area to relevant tasks
- Applies knowledge and practical skills to independently perform complex tasks
- Conveys the need to use updated project approaches
- Delivers Divisional contributions across a variety of products and services to meet the needs of different clients
- Proposes options to clients that may better meet their needs than current approaches
- Defines and delivers to agreed standards with clients
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Conducts detailed research and analysis to determine appropriate methods for addressing the causes of issues
- Self-monitors achievement of results according to work plans
- Identifies different stakeholder needs and desired outcomes when planning for outcomes
- Independently solves problems and makes recommendations
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks with audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
Immediate Reporting Relationships / Other Information:
Supervisor: Designated International Staff and senior National Staff
This vacancy is for local staff position with local remuneration package. It is open only to nationals and residents of Viet Nam.