Evaluation Mission – Education Sector Programme in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
POSITION: 1 Expert Senior-30 w/d
1 Expert Junior-30 w/d
DURATION: 120 jours
STARTING DATE: 04/06/2012
DATE DE SOUMISSION: 26/04/2011
1. DESCRIPTION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
1.1 Global objective
The global objective of the assignment is to evaluate the ongoing EU sector budget support programme and to assist the Khyber Pakhtunkhawa Government and the EUD in identifying and assessing the feasibility of, and operational and financing options for, continuing EU support to the Khyber Pakhtunkhawa Education Sector Reforms, as reflected in its Education Sector Plan, in line with the provisions of the MIP 2011-13.
1.2 Specific objective(s)
The specific objectives of the assignment are:
–To undertake a detailed assessment of the sector programme in Khyber Pakhtunkhawa, in close collaboration with government and other partners, following five of the seven areas6 of assessment (see section 2.4, Required outputs) detailed in Chapter 5 of the Guidelines for EC Support to Sector Programmes;
–To evaluate the EUD’s support to the sector programme; namely the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa ESRP;
–To make recommendations to the EUD on whether or not the EU should continue to support the sector programme;
–To develop indicative proposals regarding the operational and financial dimensions of a future continuing SPSP;
2. PROFILE REQUIRED
2.1 Number of requested experts per category and number of person-days per expert or per category
Two (2) experts are requested to carry out this assignment: one (1) senior expert and one (1) junior expert for 30 person-days each maximum.
2.2 Expertise required
Expertise required for both experts:
• Experience in (South) Asia of at least 3 years is essential and previous working experience in Pakistan represents an added advantage;
• An excellent command of English (both spoken and written);
• Excellent report writing, good communication skills, adaptability and social awareness;
• Experience in the identification, design, costing, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of education projects and programmes.
Special expertise required for one or both experts:
• At least one of the experts should be fully conversant with the principles and working methods of project cycle management and EU aid delivery methods;
• At least one of the experts should have expertise in sector approaches in general and in sector approaches in Education in particular, as well as knowledge of Sector Budget Support modality.
• At least one of the experts should have expertise in analysing education budgets and multi-year budget perspectives.
The senior expert will be Team Leader. The Team Leader will have the responsibility of drawing up the reports, in close consultation with the other member of the team, and will lead all the contacts and cooperation with the EUD inIslamabad, the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa ESED and other agencies/stakeholders.
Expertise required for the Senior Expert:
This expert should be an Education Sector Specialist and:
• hold education at least Masters Degree Academic level, and preferably at PhD level, in a field directly related to Education. If a person does not hold a masters degree he/she should have equivalent professional experience of 2 years which must be above the general professional experience duration fixed below.
• Have at least 10 years
• Have expertise in (primary) education policy and development, education sector analysis, reform and management (which includes Education sector policy, financing, planning and programming; aid to education ministries, administration and management systems; institutional capacity assessment and building; school management and governance; curriculum and materials development).
• A minimum of ten years experience in managing /supervising public sector educational policy programmes and in the design of development projects, as well as in project identification and preparation.
Expertise required for Junior Expert:
This expert should be an Education Economist and will assist in reviewing the overall programme approach, impact, practicality, cost-effectiveness, and more specifically the financing modalities of the proposed options and will examine the different options.
• S/he should hold a education at least Masters Degree Academic level, and preferably at PhD level, in a field directly related to Education. If a person does not hold a masters degree he/she should have equivalent professional experience of 2 years which must be above the general professional experience duration fixed below.
• have recent relevant professional experience of at least 3 years;
• Relevant experience in the field of Education and in project financing in Pakistan, and in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in particular, would be an added advantage
3. LOCATION AND DURATION
3.1 Starting period
We intend to begin this assignment by 4 June 2012
The overall input of the assignment is estimated at a maximum of 60 days (total for 2 experts: 30 for each expert). Experts are not obliged to work on weekends. The period of implementation of the contract will be 120 days.
3.3 Planning Indicative mission schedule is as follows. Please note if any of the experts are locally-basedthe person-days for travel to Islamabad will not be included.