WFP Career Opportunities: IT Operations Assistant, FT-G5, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
|Job Title:||IT Operations Assistant|
|No. Position/s:||1 (One)|
|VA No.:||87143||Contract:||Fixed Term|
|Date of Issue:||20 August 2018||Grade:||G5|
|Deadline:||03 September 2018||Duty Stations:||Addis Ababa (1)|
|Post Duration:||One year with possibility of extension.|
The World Food Programme (WFP) is United Nations frontline agency in the fight against hunger, WFP is continually responding to emergencies. We save lives by getting food to the hungry fast. But WFP also works to help prevent hunger in the future. We do this through programmes that use food as a means to build assets, spread knowledge and nurture stronger, more dynamic communities. This helps communities become more food secure. On average, WFP aims to bring food assistance to more than 80 million people in 80 countries.
WFP Ethiopia is working with the Government and humanitarian partners to strengthen the resilience of Ethiopia’s most vulnerable population and to chart a more prosperous and sustainable future for the next generation. The Country Office also supports programmes that use food assistance to empower women, transform areas affected by climate change and keep children in school. It aims to contribute to Ethiopia’s five-year development agenda, the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP), through which the Government combats food insecurity.
This job is found in Addis Ababa Country Office. The Jobholder report to the Information Technology Officer, Head of the Unit or the designate.
At this level, jobholders are expected to take responsibility for completion of a range of processes and activities requiring interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. Jobholders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other staff.
To deliver high quality technical support, system and data maintenance across a range of areas, in order to contribute to the effective delivery of IT services.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Carry out system maintenance tasks, such as performing monitoring tasks, running system diagnostics, and system optimisation, to ensure they are running effectively and enable easy and efficient use.
- Maintain technology, including standard repairs, configuration, and storage, in accordance with data security and access controls to ensure IT equipment required for WFP staff is available.
- Prepare files and systems for inventory and archives, such as website content and directories, to ensure information is accurate and up-to-date.
- Allocate tasks to other colleagues, ensuring that tasks are delivered to agreed standards and deadlines, to support the effective delivery of services.
- Respond to a variety of queries about technology and systems in order to assist WFP staff to deliver their services.
- With support of senior colleagues, provide standard training to end users of technology and systems to ensure staff use standard technology and systems effectively.
- Perform routine deployments of server hardware and software, including testing and the identification of problems, to contribute to the effective functioning of technology.
- Responsible for maintaining information records such as updating web pages and statistical databases to ensure the information is current and well organized.
- Install, operate and maintain telecommunications systems and equipment, to ensure optimal services in compliance with standard operations procedures.
- Support the development of standard material such as training documentation and web content on behalf of senior officers, to ensure staff have access to required information about IT services and products.
- Suggest improvements to methods and processes in order to support the continuous improvement of IT services.
- Follow set emergency response processes and procedures as required to provide support in enabling emergency food assistance needs to be met.
- Perform other duties as required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has experience resolving more complex technical issues.
- Has worked with head of units in defining requirements for functional area.
- Has experience with the application of client services standards to resolve or escalate clients’ service problems.
- Has hands-on experience on planning, installing and operation of Ubiquiti point-to-point and point-to-multipoint wireless links/networks.
- Has experience on climbing short and mid height telecom towers.
- Has experience with small Thuraya satellite terminals installation and operation.
- Has experience on providing IT support to many locations concurrently.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable. Trained on Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Operating System Platform; Cisco Certified (CCNA), Trained and Certified on Wireless Network infrastructure.
Experience: At least five years of progressively responsible job related experience in IT. Specifically, experienced in LAN, WAN, WLAN, VSAT and PABX installation and troubleshooting, Exchange Server based messaging system administration, Office 365 desktop applications support, Microsoft Active Directory Infrastructure, IT Helpdesk support, and IT asset management.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local language is added advantage.