Human Dynamics is a leading European provider of consulting services for the public sector with more than 120 projects implemented in 30 countries worldwide. Currently, Human Dynamics and its 300 experts and consultants advise more than 40 ministries and public/government agencies worldwide. You are welcome on our website for more details: www.humandynamics.org
Project title: Technical Assistance for the ASEAN Regional Integration Support by the EU (ARISE)
Brief description: Location: Asia, ASEAN Member States — Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, LaoPeople’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam
The overall objective of the ‘ASEAN regional integration support’ programme by the EU (ARISE) is to support the ASEAN economic integration process through contributing to the implementation of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) blueprint for the realisation of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC). The purpose of the programme is to enhance the capacities of the ASEAN Member States in harmonising and implementing policies and regulations in the economic and trade sectors and implementing them effectively drawing on EU experience, so as to contribute to the realisation of the AEC.
Component I will provide support to the strengthening of the management of the overall regional economic integration process. This will be a demand-responsive facility that can provide support to various ASEAN institutions and bodies with the aim of strengthening the institutional arrangements and management of the regional economic integration process.
Component II will seek to support concrete regional integration results through targeted support to areas with strong ASEAN commitment to advancing the regional economic integration agenda. The support will focus on customs integration/transit arrangements and technical barriers to trade, including standards. The support will target the ASEAN Secretariat, the relevant ASEAN working groups and, to a limited extent, follow-up actions in specific ASEAN Member States. The specific activities will be further detailed reflecting inter alia the ASEAN Member States’ readiness to implement the relevant economic integration measures.
Component III will seek to enhance the capacity of the ASEAN Secretariat, inter alia through provisions for temporary increases of staff to support the integration process and the functioning of the ASEAN Secretariat.
Commencement date of the project: September 2012
Duration of the assignment: 440 work days over 48 months
– Assist the team leader in assessing the current institutional arrangement and management practices for achieving ASEAN regional integration (component I)
– Assist the ASEAN Secretariat in implementing the capacity building activities as described in the grant contract (component III)
Qualifications and skills
– A university degree or equivalent in public administration, economics, business administration or any other relevant discipline
– An excellent verbal and written command of English is essential. Knowledge of an ASEAN language would be an added advantage
– Proven organisational, communication skills. Proven ability to develop quality communication with high level officials
– Good knowledge of regional integration preferably in ASEAN
General professional experience:
– Preferably 15 years of professional experience related to issues covered by the proposed project i.e public administration, human resources management, institutional strengthening
– Involvement in cooperation programmes in developing countries, preferably in Asia
– Relevant professional experience in ASEAN or AMS would be an added advantage
Specific professional experience:
– Management and participation in large scale institutional capacity building
– Proven knowledge of institutional developments in the EU and/or other regional organisation
– Management and participation in technical assistance projects which involve an important “mindset change” in the participants, would be an advantage
– Proven knowledge of European Union project management procedures and financial regulations, preferably through management and participation in EU-funded technical assistance projects of similar size and/or contractual value
– He/she must have a record of successful experience in capacity building / training needs assessment and designing training programmes