Terms of Reference
Knowledge Development and Communication Advisor
OPEN FOR ALL NEPALI CITIZENS
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation is a leading development organisation that specialises in capacity development support to government, non-government and private sector organisations. SNV aims to achieve impact by providing advisory services, facilitating knowledge development, networking, strengthening local capacity builders, and advocacy at national and international levels. SNV is committed to reduction of poverty that is consistent with nationally defined poverty reduction strategies and the global MDG agenda. In Asia, SNV is active in Nepal, Bhutan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Lao PDR, Bangladesh, Indonesia and Pakistan and provides advisory services in Agriculture, Forestry as well as in Water, Sanitation Hygiene and Renewable Energy sectors.
In agriculture, SNV Nepal has been providing technical assistance to a) the High Value Agriculture Project (HVAP) funded by IFAD and b) the Raising Income for Small and Medium Farmers Project (RISMFP) funded by ADB. Both projects are executed by the Ministry of Agriculture Development (MoAD), covering 20 districts in the far and mid-western region and have adopted market led approach with a focus on pro poor value chain development and inclusive business.
For these two projects, SNV Nepal requires a professional and experienced Nepali citizen for the position of:
Knowledge Development and Communication Advisor, vacancy code 2012-15
The advisor will partly be assigned to the High Value Agriculture Project (75%) and partly to the Raising Income for Small and Medium Farmers Project (25%) and will be based in the Project Management Unit of HVAP in Surkhet. The advisor will report to the HVAP Team Leader, while working on knowledge and communication component for HVAP and to the RISMFP Team Leader while working on knowledge component for RISMFP. He/she will liaise with the SNV communication officer and deliver monthly reports to both Team Leaders on progress and challenges related to the respective projects.
Knowledge Development (25% HVAP and 25% RISMFP)
- As a focal point, steer the knowledge development, dissemination and management process;
- Establish an effective knowledge management system enabling the projects to systematically reflect on, capture, structure and document both explicit and tacit knowledge
- Develop and disseminate key knowledge products (case studies, documentaries, field manuals, training guides, publications, newspaper articles discussion/issue papers etc.);
- Develop knowledge sharing and learning infrastructure and foster partnerships for broader knowledge-networking;
- Ensure the use of knowledge in evidence-based advocacy and in the development and application of contextualised solutions;
- Organise and participate in knowledge events and promote learning;
- Support and build capacity of project staff on knowledge management, documentation and dissemination.
Communication (50% HVAP)
- Develop and implement project communication strategy and action plan;
- Facilitate internal communication and networking among project stakeholder;
- Actively engage with the project team to communicate major progress and results;
- Ensure quality of progress reports, annual report, key publications and knowledge products;
- Act as communication focal point for the project who takes responsibility for development and maintenance of data, documents, print materials, photo database, audio-visuals and management of press and other media inquiries;
- Ensure HVAP branding and visibility in project materials;
- Communicate successes and breakthroughs through print and online media by researching and identifying news stories;
- Maintain and update information on project website and regional knowledge platform;
- Produce and update promotional materials including reports, brochures, folders, radio programmes etc. on a regular basis.
- Master’s level education related to development, communication or journalism is required;
- Excellent Nepali and English writing skills and presentation skills are required;
- Demonstrated experience with writing articles and text for professional publications, development of audio-visuals, web-based and other social media outreach;
- At least 3 years of work experience in the field of communication and public relations, presentation and documentation preferably in a multi-cultural environment;
- Experience on knowledge management, developing best practices and dissemination for wider policy influence,
- Experience in working with agricultural projects preferably on value chain development and business development;
- Enthusiasm to conduct desk research and produce summarized findings;
- Dynamism and self-starting ability is required along with ability to challenge existing practices and coming up with creative proposals will be preferred.
Duty Station: Surkhet, Nepal with frequent travel of project districts
Duration: 2 years with a possibility for extension
Advisory Level: IV