SNV is looking for a paid Communications and Project Management Intern to work in its Washington, D.C. office. This internship is best suited for a graduate student or recent graduate who can commit to at least 30 hours per week.
About SNV USA
SNV USA supports SNV globally by expanding the organization’s mission of poverty alleviation through partnerships with organizations based in North America. SNV USA facilitates strategic partnerships with bi- and multi-laterals, foundations, corporations, social investors, think-tanks, universities, and other entities. SNV USA has formed a number of exciting new partnerships with prominent US donors, such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Clinton Global Initiative, the Ford Foundation and USAID.
An international not-for-profit development organization, SNV started out more than 40 years ago and currently works in 36 countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. SNV recently launched its strategy for 2011-2015, a strategy that seeks to uphold its mission to ensure that all people have the opportunity to pursue their own sustainable development. By 2015, we aim to make a lasting difference in the lives of 40 million people living in poverty in the regions where we operate. We believe that no one should have to live in poverty.
Our global team of advisors uses their expertise as specialists in Agriculture and Food Security, Renewable Energy and Water, Sanitation Hygiene to contribute to solving some of the leading problems facing the world today. With over 1,000 professionals worldwide, SNV helps to empower local people to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own sustainable development.
The intern will work as part of an integrated and well-coordinated global marketing and resource mobilization team to implement targeted communications and outreach strategies, develop marketing materials, and assist the Director with various projects. The candidate would also work in media relations, event management, securing speaking opportunities, and supporting overall communications and partnership development.
- Learn about SNV’s programs, partnerships, positioning, and marketing strategies;
- Assist with communications and outreach to target audiences to increase SNV visibility and assist in relationship management. Duties may include: attending relevant events around DC, writing/editing articles for internal and external audiences, drafting communications materials, and supporting regional proposal development;
- Coordinate with Communications Team in the Hague
- Work closely with Head Office in the Hague as well as Field Offices in Asia, Africa, and Latin America
- Prepare presentation and briefing materials for Director;
- Assist in conducting media outreach and coordinating with external consultants;
- Plan for 2012 and 2013 events in North America;
- Create and maintain a personal blog for Director;
- Coordinate with the SNV USA team, the main office in the Netherlands and regional offices to maintain a communications library;
- Research potential partnerships with bilaterals, multilaterals, foundations, and corporations that fund the countries and sectors that align with SNV’s work.
- Graduate Degree completed or in progress
- Communications and PR background;
- Excellent verbal and written communications, networking and presentation skills in English required;
- Be self-motivated, flexible, organized, detail-oriented, and able to work independently in a team environment;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail required;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Have academic and/or professional interest and experience in International Development;
- Experience using internal databases, such as SalesForce or Access;
- Academic and/or professional interest and experience in one of SNV’s program regions: Asia, the Balkans, East/South Africa, Latin America, and West/Central Africa;
- Experience developing or maintaining blogs;
- Proficiency in French or Spanish;
- Ability to commitment for 5 months, preferably longer
This is a paid internship. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and 1-2 page writing sample to
. Please no phone calls.
SNV is an Equal Opportunity Employer. SNV encourages applications from qualified persons of every race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, and disability.