Founded in 1993, Women for Women International provides women survivors of war, civil strife and other conflicts with the tools and resources to move from crisis and poverty to stability, self-sufficiency, and active citizenship, thereby promoting viable civil societies. WfWI currently works in eight countries: Afghanistan, Iraq, Kosovo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Nigeria, Rwanda and South Sudan. In 2011, over 78,549 women in all eight countries received program services, supported by more than 40,000 sponsors from 94 countries across the world. WfWI has over 600 employees worldwide, and each of our country offices are fully staffed by women and men from the local community.
The Senior Advisor in DRC will work in close collaboration with the Acting Country Director (ACD) to implement and support the following:
- Advise and make recommendations regarding best practices on the daily management and operations of the Country Office, including program, finance and human resources.
- Provide support and guidance to the Senior Management Team, including Life Skills and Sponsorship Manager, Income Generation Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation Manager, Finance Manager, Human Resources Manager and Logistics Manager.
- Promote the highest quality, integrity, and efficiency with regards to programming and operations and help to foster empowerment and accountability in the work environment.
Advisory Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all aspects of “core” program, including sponsorship, life skills and vocational training as well as grant-funded projects are implemented with the highest quality and integrity according to mission and goals.
- Ensure that all data collection and reporting on any aspects of the program is conducted in a timely manner and according to the highest possible standards.
- Work closely with the senior managers on all aspects of programming to ensure accountability and adherence to mission.
- Annual targets achieved.
- Ensure that proper financial systems and controls are developed, maintained and verified.
- Provide substantive contribution where appropriate to all aspects of Country Office financial management including; managing costs to budget, financial and grant reporting and related areas.
- Ensure that Finance staff is properly trained and that all staff understands policies and procedures regarding cash, procurement, etc.
- Work with senior managers to develop new budgets and monitor existing ones.
- Empower staff on a day-to-day basis to ensure high performance in implementing the strategic direction of the organization, including mission, vision and goals.
- Help to unify staff and foster an open, supportive environment
- Provide opportunities to improve staff performance including training, professional development and effective work structuring.
- Create, communicate and periodically review office and staff security plans.
Human Resources Management:
- Ensure that systems and processes are in place and adhered to for recruitment, compensation and benefits, labor law taxation compliance, staff health and safety, staff training and development, employee relations and performance management.
- Participate in the hiring of all senior manager level positions.
Strategic Oversight and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic advice to the design and successful implementation of all programs offered by Women for Women International including sponsorship and direct aid, rights and life skills training, business and vocational skills training and other pilot projects as applicable.
- Support Country Office’s adherence to all compliance policies and procedures established by Women for Women International.
Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Development or relevant field (or Bachelor’s Degree and 15+ years experience in lieu of advanced degree);
- At least 15 years’ work experience at senior management level;
- Ability to advise, coach, mentor and motivate staff in a participatory management style.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in financial management, human resource management, logistics and general program management.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills;
- High level of maturity and personal integrity;
- Understanding of the work of NGOs in the social, political and economic context of DRC
- Fluency in English and French; local language skills an added advantage;
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and email applications.
We encourage all interested applicants to submit the following application materials: up-to-date resume, cover letter with salary requirements and three professional references, through WfWI’s Career Portal and our online application system at https://womenforwomenintlcareers.silkroad.com under the Current Opportunities tab.
We do not accept resumes or applications sent to our human resources email box.
Only short listed applicants will be invited to interview and interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled. No telephone inquiries, please.
Non-US citizens applying for regular positions based in the U.S.must possess work authorization which does not require sponsorship by the employer for a visa.
Women for Women International provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.