UNITED NATIONS RELIEF AND WORKS AGENCY
FOR PALESTINE REFUGEES IN THE NEAR EAST
UNRWA is the United Nations agency responsible for the protection, care and human development of a population of some 5 millionPalestinerefugees living in the Gaza Strip, the West Bank,Jordan,Lebanonand theSyrianArabRepublic. UNRWA is committed to assistingPalestinerefugees in maintaining a decent standard of living, acquiring appropriate knowledge and skills, enjoying the fullest possible extent of human rights, and leading a long and healthy life. UNRWA is the largest UN operation in theMiddle Eastwith more than 30,000 staff. Most of these staff are refugees themselves, working directly to benefit their communities – as teachers, doctors, nurses or social workers. For its international team, UNRWA is seeking to employ a qualified:
Senior External Relations and Projects Officer
The incumbent of this post, who is an integral part of the External Relations team in Jerusalem and Gaza, reports directly to the Chief, Donor Relations Division and is responsible for supervising the Projects Unit at Headquarters Gaza. In accordance with the established Agency policy and procedures, the incumbent will:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor the schedule of project reports Agency-wide. Communicate with Field Offices to ensure reports are prepared on schedule and provide guidance on the preparation of such reports. Coordinate with the Finance Department on the financial reporting on projects;
- Ensure quality control of Agency-wide reporting to donors by reviewing draft proposals, drafting correspondence regarding project reports, use of free balances and interest and other project related matters;
- Liaise with the Finance Department on all project financial matters, coordinate the closing out of old projects and handling of balances with donors;
- Monitor the implementation of funded projects, ensure the maintenance and updating of the project data base for each individual project;
- Liaise between the Projects Unit, Chief of Donor Relations, Director of External Relations and Communications Department (ERCD), Programme Directors, the Finance Department and Senior External Relations and Projects Officers (S/ERPOs) in the Donor Relations Division and Arab Partners Unit regarding clearance of project proposals for submission to donors and verification of other relevant information;
- Supervise the Projects Unit, HQ Gaza and coordinate with the Contributions Office, to link the contributions and project information;
- Contribute information on projects to donor briefs prepared by ERCD.
Professional Knowledge and Experience
- Advanced university degree in political science, international relations, public administration, law, economics or other related field;
- At least eight years of experience working for a national/international organization or development agency in resource mobilization, external relations or project management of which three years at least should have been at a senior level;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Ability to supervise a team;
- Strong communication skills, ability to handle details and present a persuasive case;
- Proven ability to maintain good professional relations with a variety of interested stakeholders in different settings;
- Ability to develop clear goals, independently plan and prioritize own work, work well under tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent activities;
- Positive attitude and strong analytical, interpersonal, communication and coordination skills;
- Ability to find creative solutions to problems and negotiate with and influence others;
- An understanding of the culture and political complexity of the area;
- Excellent computer skills.
- Experience in project design, management and implementation;
- Knowledge of UN system;
- Familiarity with database management;
The incumbent will be required to travel frequently and extensively in the Agency’s area of operations in theMiddle East.
Conditions of Service
UNRWA offers an attractive compensation package including annual salary starting at $72,467net tax free with dependants or $67,483 single plus post adjustment of 55.2% (subject to change without notice). Other benefits, subject to eligibility, include education grant, dependency allowance, home leave, pension fund, health insurance and 6 weeks annual leave. Staff members based in Gaza are entitled to additional benefits, subject to eligibility, including expanded leave provisions, hardship pay, and RR leave every 6 weeks (according to the UN classification of the duty station and subject to change without notice). WhileGaza is a non-family duty station, eligible staff members may set up a second household in a nearby location to have their family nearby. Initial contract is for one year, with the possibility of further extensions subject to the availability of funds and the continuing need for the post.
How to Apply
To start the application process, applicants are required to register at http://jobs.unrwa.org by creating a personal profile and completing UNRWA Personal History Form. Please note that UNRWA only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Only applications received through http://jobs.unrwa.org will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for UNRWA vacancies, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted.
UNRWA does not charge a fee at any stage in the recruitment process.
UNRWA encourages applications from qualified and experienced women.
UNRWA welcomes applications from qualified candidates with disabilities.
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for human rights, for diversity, and for non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs. UNRWA is a non-smoking work environment.