STATE PROJECT OFFICER
Delta, Edo State – Nigeria
Africare is a leader among private, charitable U.S. organizations assisting Africa. Africare is also the oldest and largest African-American led organization in the field. Africare’s programs address needs in three principal areas: Agriculture Food Security, Health HIV/AIDS, and Water, Sanitation Hygiene.
Throughout its 40 year history, Africare has reached 30 million people across the continent with innovative, sustainable, culturally appropriate and life-changing projects to improve the quality of life in communities throughout Sub-Saharan Africa. We strategically invest in innovating and implementing community-based solutions to complex problems, with a strong focus on skills transfer to create leaders out of beneficiaries. Our work has transformed communities and garnered wide recognition for its impact and sustainability.
Africare’s 1,400 staff members operate in 20 countries across Africa. Headquarters is based in Washington, DC where the President’s office and the Finance, Development, and Operations Departments are based.
The Promoting Initiative for Malaria Eradication (PRIME) project in Nigeria is a multi-year project in six states in the Niger Delta region. PRIME contributes to rapid and sustained scale-up of malaria control interventions for high impact. Project activities focus on increasing prompt and effective treatment of malaria using ACTs, scale-up of parasitological diagnosis of malaria; health systems strengthening for malaria prevention, treatment and control. The project works with private sector health services providers to ensure proper management and utilization of malaria drugs, test kits, and other commodities.
Position Description: The State Project Officer will provide program, administrative and logistical oversight of the project in the focus state under the supervision of the Project Director. Oversees collation/analysis of data, and provides timely reporting on project activities. Ensures data tools and MIS systems in place in all project sites and that all reports accurate and submitted on time.
• Bachelor’s degree in Medical Sciences, Social Sciences, Arts, Management, Humanities or equivalent, with relevant experience.
• Strong skills in data management and analysis, including experience with collection of primary data.
• At least 2-4 years experience in developing, implementing and reporting for community health programs, preferably with an international organization, local organizations, or health facility.
• Demonstrated ability to work with the private sector, small business owners, community groups, government agencies, civil society groups, health institutions and trade unions.
• Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills with proficiency (reading, writing, speaking and comprehension) in English.
• Proficiency in computer application (word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation packages and internet applications) highly desirable.
• Must be available to travel often and carry out any other duties required to meet project targets.
Africare offers a competitive salary along with an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply:
Applications should include a CV and cover letter. In the cover letter (of no more than two pages in length) the candidate should briefly describe his or her motivation for the position and highlight relevant experience.
Please send CVs to email@example.com, including “STATE PROJECT OFFICER” in the subject line.
Please submit CVs by 5:00pm, Thursday, March 29, 2012. CVs received after the deadline will not be considered. Unfortunately, due to the large number of applications that we receive, we may not be able to respond to each individual candidate; only short listed candidates will be contacted. Please respect our no phone calls policy.